I don't know about you, but I'm constantly trying to find easy casseroles to whip together that will last for several meals. My mom taught me how to cook this growing up and it's still a staple comfort food that I return to regularly.
I almost always boil or roast a whole chicken on Sundays so that I have ready made shredded chicken for casseroles, tacos, or salads during the week. I've been really digging boiling a whole chicken because then I have leftover broth to use. For my go to recipe for boiling chicken, check out this recipe.
I also always prep at least one recipe of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup to have on hand as well. I don't love all the ingredients that come in the canned stuff, and it's so easy to make from scratch (and tastes SO much better). I use this recipe for homemade condensed cream of chicken and this recipe for cream of mushroom.
Easy Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Shredded chicken from 1 whole chicken (I usually use about 4 cups)
- 12 tortillas (corn or flour - your choice)
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 jar of salsa or picante
- 2-3 cups shredded Mexican Blend cheese, divided
- 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom or cream of chicken (or 1 recipe of homemade)
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Turn oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease a large casserole dish
- Pour enough salsa on the bottom of the pan to just cover it (about 1/4 cup)
- Tear up 6 tortillas and cover bottom of the pan
- In a bowl, mix shredded chicken with remaining salsa
- Cover tortilla layer with shredded chicken and salsa mixture
- Tear up 6 remaining tortillas and cover chicken layer
- Save 1/2 cup - 1 cup of shredded cheese and mix the rest with sour cream, cream of mushroom or chicken, and milk in a small bowl
- Spread cream and cheese mixture over tortilla layer.
- Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese over top of casserole
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the sides are bubbling
- Let rest at least 10 minutes after baking
Leave a comment below and let me know how it turned out!